Apple iCloud family sharing will assist you to share files stored in the iCloud with your loved family members. However, the steps that you will need to go through in order to set this up is quite complex.
That's why we thought of sharing a detailed guide with you highlighting the steps on how to configure Apple Cloud family sharing.
Table of Contents
What Information can be Shared in Family Sharing?
You will be provided the opportunity to share different files with Apple family sharing. Here's an overview of different types of information that you will be able to share with the assistance offered by Apple family sharing.
- iTunes and App Store Purchases
- Apple Music
- Location Sharing
- Spy on social media apps like WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Viber, WeChat and more.
- Track cell phone location in real time and view location history.
- Check all incoming and outgoing calls& text messages.
- Remotely access the files on the target phone, like contacts, photos, call logs, etc.
- Receive detailed daily, weekly, and monthly reports of your child's online activity
- Screen Time
- Share Photos
- When you have it, you can easily monitor storage that each family member is using. People who are out of your family sharing portal will not have access unless you specifically request them to gain access.
- The adult family members will still have the freedom to have their own data quota for sharing as well.
- The most prominent limitation is that family sharing is only a feature available for Apple. If you want to use this, you will need to make sure that all your family members are using Apple devices. If they are using Android devices or any other device, you will be kept away from using this feature.
- The location sharing feature that you can get with this can be abused quite easily.
- You should also make sure that all the devices that are used for family sharing are on iOS 8 or higher. If they are not in iOS 8 or higher, you will not be able to continue with using family sharing.
- The parental control feature that you can see in here is limited from age. The parents will only be able to go ahead and set up a screen time for the kids who are aged below 13 years. Hence, you cannot use this feature to track teenagers.
- When you go ahead with Apple family sharing, you will not be able to hide nay purchase from a family member. This can be quite inconvenient. If you want to keep the purchases private, you cannot do it.
You can go ahead and share all the app store purchases and iTunes purchases with Family Sharing. Then you can get your loved ones to gain access to the apps that you bought.
If you want to proceed with Apple music family sharing, you can do it as well. Then you will be able to enjoy music with the people that you love.
You may also share your location with family through Apple sharing. Then other people can be aware of what your exact location is at any given time.
KidsGuard Pro is a useful parental control app to monitor location, calls, photos and so on. It can be the great alternative of family sharing. It supports Android and iOS devices.
Features of KidsGuard Pro
As a parent, you will come across the need to track the screen time of your kids. You can do it with Apple family sharing feature as well.
If there is a need for you to share photos, you may do it as well. Then you will be able to get the best returns that are coming on your way.
How to Set up Apple Family Sharing
Here are two ways to guide you setting up apple family sharing on different devices. Let's see!
Way1: Set Up Family Sharing on Phone Devices
You will be able to set up family sharing on your iPhone, which has iOS version 8 or above. Here are the steps that you should follow to get the job done.
Step 1. You should initially go to "Settings" and select "iCloud".
Step 2. Then you need to tap on "Set Up Family Sharing". After that, you may tap on the button "Get Started".
Step 3. You will be asked to confirm that you wish to become the family organizer from the "Apple ID".
Step 4. Then you can follow on-screen instructions and set it up.
Way2: Set Up Family Sharing on MAC
Here are the steps you need to follow to set up family sharing on MAC.
Step 1. You should initially go to "System Preferences" and click on "Family Sharing".
Step 2. Now you need to confirm your "Apple ID". Then you can enable Family Sharing.
Step 3.You can pick "Purchase Sharing" and then turn it on. You will also need to confirm that you agree to pay for all the purchases that are initiated by the family members.
Step 4.Now you can enter the name of the family member, email address, and a nickname. After that you can send invitations.
How to use iCloud Family Sharing
You may consider iCloud family sharing as a single storage solution, which is available for all your family members.
However, this feature is available only to the people who purchase either 200GB plan or 2TB plan.
Limitations for Apple Family Sharing
KidsGuard Pro is an excellent monitor app and you can share everything with your parents. It doesn't have this limitations. You can try it now!
FAQs about Apple Family Sharing
Q1. How does purchasing work on Family Sharing?
All members will be able to go ahead with making purchases on Apple family sharing. However, you will need to clearly figure out what you are going to purchase and what you are not going to purchase. Tha's because all the purchases that you make will be clearly visible to all the family members you shared.
Q2. How to access the Family Album?
You will be able to go to the Phone gallery and access family album. If you are using Mac, you can access Photos and the family albums would be visible to you. This is a convenient and a hassle-free feature that you can get.
Q3. How to change settings for the Family album?
You will be able to go to Phone settings or Mac OS settings to change the settings for your family album. However, it is important for you to be mindful about the settings that you are going to change. Then you can make sure that you are not facing any problems.
Q4. How to add other people to the Family album?
You will be able to go ahead and tap on family sharing. Then you can add people to the family album according to your preferences. You will also be able to add and remove family members as per the specific preferences that you have.
Q5. How to add an event to the shared calendar?
You will need to go to shared calendar and then add an event. Then the calendar event will be made visible to all the family members that you have added under family sharing feature.
Now you know how exactly family sharing feature on Apple works. It is a great method available for you to collaborate with your family members. Adhere to these tips and you will be able to get the most out of family sharing feature that is available out there for you to consider.Besides, KidsGuard Pro is also a great alternative of family sharing on Apple. You can have a try on it.
- iOS 14 Enhanced Privacy, Can You Still Monitor iPhone Without Permission?
- Best ways to Hide Text Messages on iPhone from Girlfriend
- How to Track Someone’s Location History on iPhone? - Solved
-  How to Recover Deleted Messages on Your iPhone
- [100% Work] 2 Best Ways to Monitor Your Childs' iPhone
You may also be interested in:
By Annie Brooks
An experienced writer and blogger, very passionate about writing and curious about latest tech trends.
Thank you for your feedback!